My newest habit is commuting every day to work, after 6 years of a self-designed mix of working from home, traveling, and office. It’s an adjustment. There are also sub-habits that have to take place as a result of this new “bigger” habit. So along the lines of this new habit, I have to incorporate a slew of additional supporting habits:
- I need to figure out how to be an evening shower person now, as opposed to taking my time in the morning or late morning after the first rush of meetings.
- I need to establish a fixed morning routine to get me out the door around 7 or 7:30.
- I need to re-train my body to go to sleep at a specific time.
- I need to finish eating dinner earlier.
- I need to find another time to get my daily reading in.
- I’m sure there are others I haven’t thought of.
As a result of this new bigger habit, you will always have supporting habits that you also need to evolve your entire ecosystem and ensure success. When you’re mentally creating your checklist for how to ingrain a new habit, make sure you include the supporting processes needed to get you to the finish line.
What are your new habits?